Magic Media is a pioneering media, entertainment, and tech group powered by creativity and innovation. We have a physical presence in 13 countries and expertise in the areas of art, animation, cybersecurity, game development, software development, VFX, and video production amongst others. We work with leading developers and publishers within the games and tech industry, providing support and solutions designed around individual needs and carried out by global experts.
We produce our industry-leading results by constantly staying at the forefront of modern technology and cutting-edge processes and practices. The best of Magic Media’s teams are known for their strong initiative, not just in taking care of their day-to-day responsibilities but in helping identify ways to build, grow, and improve.
We are looking for a talented Principal Technical Artist to join our team and lead on a very ambitious project. The ideal candidate should have extensive full-time experience with asset integration, advanced shaders and material development, VFXs, and graphics optimizations in Unreal Engine. As a Principal Technical Artist, you will be responsible for leading a talented team of technical artists focused on asset creation and import optimizations, pipeline integration, and supervision within a gaming title. Also, strong knowledge in state-of-the-art shaders and materials development, lighting systems, and providing support to both artists and engineers. Principal Technical Artist will also work in sync with project’s managers and producers for tasks estimation and completion, and write technical design documents; manage CI/CD pipeline for artists; and mentor other technical artists to support their growth. In short, you will drive processes, and help to build and maintain the toolchain for art asset creation, implementation and optimization that will meet team and project needs.
- An accomplished technical artist with 6+ years of experience within the technical art discipline with 2+ years of experience as a Principal/Project Lead Technical Artist in game development using Unreal
- Shipped at least 2 games in a Senior/Principal Technical Art role; preferably full cycle on a ‘AAA’ console or PC title.
- Experience in 3D graphics software such as 3DS Max, Maya, etc. ideally on an advanced scripting level
- A solid understanding in game engines, pipelines, graphics APIs and processes.
- Advanced knowledge in Unreal Engine’s shaders and material development
- Experience in graphics optimizations, from profiling to implementation
- A solid artistic and technical knowledge in VFX
- Awesome communication skills -in English-, across all disciplines
- Expert working with team and management
- Amazing technical insight; from asset creation in 3D software to in-engine optimizations
- A passion for video games
- Relentless proactivity in finding problems and their solutions
- Passion for problem-solving, particularly as it pertains to debugging technical issues
- Analyze and improve game performance
- Deep understanding of the rendering process
- Knowledge of platform strengths and limitations.
- Experience writing and debugging shaders
- Good knowledge of multiple art and animation pipelines;
- Technical proficiency in areas of 2D and 3D art;
- Deep knowledge of art creation pipelines, asset exporting, and process automation workflows
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong reporting and documentation skills
- Enforce technological changes in order to improve the workflows and pipelines
- Experience in developing big open-world games
- Background in a wide variety of platforms like PC, VR and WebGL games
- Working knowledge of Houdini, tool creation for artists and designers
- Scripting skills in Python, C++, C# and/or MaxScript
- Modeling and texturing abilities/experience
- Deep understanding of HLSL and/or GLSL shading languages
- Permanently remote position
- An opportunity to hone and improve your skills by applying them to a diverse variety of engaging projects.
- Be part of an international Group with offices worldwide
- Career growth and development
- Working closely with a team of like-minded people in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
- Ongoing training and professional self-improvement opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- An inclusive culture and open communication